Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Week 9, Thing 22: Overdrive, NetLibrary and Project Gutenburg

I've had an MP3 player for several months and already have accounts with Overdrive and NetLibrary. So, I took a look at Project Gutenberg instead. Through Project Gutenberg, I was able to locate and download "The Three Little Pigs" to my work computer. What a wonderfully dramatic reading, particularly enjoyable is the huffing and puffing villainous wolf. Also included in the download was "Rumplestiltskin." I also took a look at the ebook, "Jokes For All Occasions." Not only is there a long list of jokes, in the form of stories, but there's an explanation as to how to effectively tell them. Here's an example that was listed under the subject of cookery:

The housewife gave the tramp a large piece of pie on condition that he should saw some wood. The tramp retired to the woodshed, but presently he reappeared at the back door of the house with the piece of pie still intact save for one mouthful bitten from the end.

"Madam," he said respectfully to the wondering woman, "if it's all the same to you, I'll eat the wood, and saw the pie."

No comments: